BHAGYABATI KACHARI (75 KG)
Date of Birth: 01-01-1992
Place of Birth: Tamgla, Assam
A sports lover since childhood, Bhagyabati’s tryst with boxing was predestined. In class 6, she used to take football coaching and soon got involved in volleyball and kabaddi as she reached high school. However, as fate would have it, a school teacher then advised her to try her hand in boxing as the sport had a promising prospect. While her parents were initially nervous, Bhagyabati’s uncle convinced them to let their daughter pursue her dream.
In 2009, Bhagyabati joined (Sports Authority of India) in Kokrajhar and since then she has never looked back. Three months since her joining, the pugilist won the bronze medal in Youth Nationals in Mizoram.
She missed out on a podium finish next year narrowly, bowing out in the semi-final. But that motivated her to train even harder and she went on to win the bronze in Asian Women’s Boxing Championship in 2012 and secured a gold the same year in an invitation tournament in Sri Lanka. It has been a steady climb for the 27-year-old, who aspires to reach the epitome of success.
- 2018: 3rd National Women’s Boxing Championships, Vijaynagara, Karnataka-Silver
- 2017: Sr. Women’s National Boxing Championship; Odisha: Bronze
- 2012: Asian Women’s Boxing Championships; Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: Bronze
- 2012: Invitation Boxing Tournament; Sri Lanka: Gold
- 2011: Sr. Women’s National Boxing Championship; Bhopal: Semi Final
- 2010: Youth National Boxing Championship; Tamil Nadu: Semi Final
- 2009: Youth National Boxing Championship; Mizoram: Bronze