Date of Birth: 25-9-1998
Place of Birth: Bhiwani, Haryana
World Youth bronze-medallist in 2016, Naman initially took to boxing as a measure for weight management. The young lad’s dream of donning the India blazer drove him to work hard on his training and today, in a short span of a little of over a couple of years, he has emerged as one of India’s Olympic medal prospects.
Tanwar comes from a humble family background and has a brother and a sister. Once part of the President’s bodyguard regiment, his father is a retired army man.
Naman’s idols are India’s former star, Akhil Kumar and Cuba’s Olympic light-heavyweight champion, Julio César La Cruz. This young Indian pugilist has an open style, power in his punches, a good mix of defence and attack, speed, agility and guile. He can be deceptive and is blessed with remarkable mental strength.
- 2020: Asia Oceania Olympic Qualifiers: Pre-quarter-finals
- 2019: India Open, Guwahati: Gold
- 2018: Commonwealth Games; Gold Coast, Australia: Bronze
- 2017 Galym Zharylgapov Boxing Tournament in Karaganda, Kazakhstan: Gold
- 2017: Elite Nationals, Vishakapatnam: Gold
- 2016: AIBA World Youth Boxing Championships, St. Petersburg, Russia: Bronze