Ashish Kumar (75kg)
Date of birth: 18.07.94.
Place of birth: Sundarnagar, Himachal Pradesh
Born into a family with multiple boxers, it was watching his national medallist cousin train that inspired the young Ashish Kumar to enter the ring. The youngster dreamt of becoming like his cousin and that dream materialized when he was sent to the Sundarnagar Boxing Club to get his first training at the age of 14.
He started flourishing at the junior level soon after and got a gold medal at a junior state competition in 2008-09. The Junior Nationals followed soon where he made it to the quarters.
After a bronze at the School Nationals, he played the Youth Nationals in 2012. That same year, he played the Senior Nationals for the very first time and it was since then that he continued to be in 75kg category.
His first gold medal in 75kg was at the National Games in 2015. In 2018, he secured the bronze at the Nationals and another bronze from the Asian Games Test event. He made it to the quarters of the India Open that same year and also participated at the President’s Cup with his first international medal coming at the Asian Championships in 2019 where he won a Silver. The 25-year-old, who aspires to be an Olympic medallist.
- 2019: Asian Championships, Bangkok, Thailand-Silver
- 2019: Strandja Cup, Bulgaria: Participated
- 2019: Round Robin Tournament, Germany: 1 win, 2 losses
- 2018: India Open, New Delhi: Quarter-finals
- 2018: President’s Cup: Participated
- 2018: Asian Games Test event, Jakarta: Bronze
- 2018: Senior National Boxing Championships: Bronze
- 2015: National Games: Gold