SONIA LATHER SINGH
Date of Birth: 10-2-92
Place of Birth: Haryana
A wrestler-turned-boxer, 27-year-old Sonia Lather is already a veteran in the sport and is among India’s top names in the ring. The World Boxing Championship silver medalist, who has already spent close to a decade in international boxing, has brought kudos to the country on several occasions at both the Asian as well as European circuit. Silver medalist at the 2016 World Championship and the 2017 Asian Championship, nothing has come easy for Lather in her life. Currently India’s best prospect in the 57Kg weight category, Sonia Lather had learnt from the adversities to never give up, irrespective of the difficulties and the circumstances.
Sonia took to boxing primarily for anger management, an idea that was totally supported by her family. Today she is among the leading lights in Indian women’s amateur boxing.
A gold medal at an international outing continues to elude her and Sonia wants to pursue it wholeheartedly at the upcoming events.
- 2019: 70th Strandja Boxing Championships, Sofia, Bulgaria: Quarterfinal
- 2019: 3rd Elite Women National Championships, Vijaynagar, Karnataka: Gold
- 2018: Asian Games, Jakarta, Indonesia: Participated
- 2018: Ulaanbaatar Cup 2018; Mongolia: Silver
- 2018: Sr. National Women’s Boxing Championships, Rohtak: Gold
- 2017: Women’s Asian Boxing Championships, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: Silver
- 2016: Women’s World Boxing Championships, Astana, Silver
- 2013: 14th Women’s Sr. Nationals, Uttarakhand: Silver
- : Asian Women’s Boxing Championships, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: Silver
- 2012: 13th Sr. Nationals Women’s Boxing Championships, Guwahati: Gold
- 2011: 12th Sr. Women’s Nationals, Bhopal: Silver
- 2011: Sr Women’s Federation Cup, Nainital: Gold
- 2010: 6th Women’s Youth Nationals, Guwahati: Gold
- 2010: Women’s Federation Cup, Uttarakhand: Gold
- 2010: 11th Sr. Women’s Nationals, Kerala: Gold