SIMRANJIT KAUR (60 Kg)
Date of Birth: 23 years
Place of Birth: Chakar Village, Ludhiana, Punjab
Boxing wasn’t an unknown sport for Simranjit Kaur during her formative years as her elder brother and sister were already pursuing the sport. But it was at the insistence of her mother that young Simranjit took up boxing. Though reluctant to begin with, she took a liking for the sport gradually and since then it has been a steady climb for the Punjab girl. In 2013, she began in 48kg category and fought in the light weight category before shifting to the higher weight category later on.
In 2013, she won a bronze medal at the Youth World Championship, representing India in the 60Kg category. While she was among the best at the Youth Worlds, success in domestic tournaments also started to boost her confidence. She was adjudged the best boxer in the 2016 National Championship in Haridwar. She bagged two more medals, silver and bronze, at the Senior National and Open National, respectively, and two more bronze at the Senior International Championship in Kazakhstan in 2017. These successes ensured her a permanent place in national and international stages.
As a setback, she lost her father early this in 2018 but Simranjeet, who went on to won gold in the 64kg category at the 32nd Ahmed Comart Boxing Tournament in September, dedicated the medal in Turkey to her late father.
A keen observer and quicker learner, she picks up the best qualities from others and adapts to them to suit her style of boxing. Simranjit won a bronze in her maiden World Championship campaign in New Delhi in November and she is also the reigning National Champion and was awarded the best boxer award at the 2019 Nationals.
Simranjit continued her blazing form through the year to secure her maiden Asian Championships medal — a silver.
- 2021: Silver at Boxam International Tournament, Spain
- 2020: Silver at Cologne World cup, Germany
- 2020: Silver at Asia-Oceania Olympic Qualifier, Jordan
- 2019: Silver at India Open Final, Guwahati
- 2019: Asian Boxing Championships, Bangkok: Silver
- 2019: 3rd Women’s National Boxing Championship, Vijayanagar: Gold & Best Boxer
- 2018: 20th AIBA Women’s World Championship, Delhi: Bronze
- 2018: 32nd Ahmet Comert Boxing Tournament, Turkey: Gold
- 2018: Women Open International Tournament of CIS, Kazakhstan: Bronze
- 2018: India Open International Boxing Tournament, Delhi: Bronze
- 2018: 2nd Elite Women’s Boxing National Championship, Rohtak: Silver
- 2016: 1st Elite Women’s Boxing National Championship, Haridwar, Uttarakhand: Gold
- 2014: All India Inter University Boxing Championship, Banaras: Bronze
- 2013: 2nd International Golden Gloves Championship, Serbia: 5th place