DHEERAJ (64 kg)
Date of Birth: November 2, 1994
Place of Birth: Bhaini Bhadon, Haryana
Renowned for his endurance and strength inside the ring, Dheeraj is amongst the talented young pugilists in the Indian fray. The 24-year-old has taken great strides in his career, making his international debut in 2010.
However, it hasn’t been an exactly smooth ride for the young boxer. His tryst with boxing started at a young age. Coming from a humble family background, sports has always excited him as a kid. He initially wanted to pursue cricket but was unable to, as his parents couldn’t afford the coaching uniform. Disappointed and looking for avenues to channelize his skillset, Dheeraj committed to boxing. Attracted by the glitz of cricket, it was eventually boxing that gave him respite.
He again faced an obstacle in 2016 during the Olympic qualifiers, incurring a serious injury to his wrist. He was forced to take a sabbatical for almost a year but returned with a newfound zeal and charisma. He went on to win the gold in the National Championship in 2017 and continued his sublime form next year as well.
The agile and power-packed boxer won the bronze in January 2018 at the India Open and did an encore in the Chemistry Cup as well.
- 2018: Asian Games, Jakarta: Participated
- 2018: Chemistry Cup; Halle, Germany: Bronze
- 2018: WSB Boxer for Indian Tigers
- 2018: India Open International Boxing Championship; New Delhi: Bronze
- 2017: Sr. Men’s National Boxing Championship: Gold
- 2016: South Asian Games; Guwahati and Shillong: Gold
- 2016: AIBA World Olympic Qualification Tournament; Baku, Azerbaijan: Quarter Finals
- 2015: World Military Games; Mungyeong, South Korea: Silver
- 2012: Youth World Boxing Championships; Yerevan, ARM: Quarter Finals
- 2012: Tammer Tournament, Tampere, Finland: Silver
- 2010: Ahmet Cömert Junior Tournament; Istanbul, Turkey: Gold